Freelance Graphic Design ArtistPosted: April 4, 2018
Location: TelecommuteDepartment(s): Prepress Production
Provides day-to-day artwork creation and support while working closely with various internal departments and external customers by performing the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates quality marketing material for standard, potential, and high demand clients in order to help them grow existing or new business.
- Creates quality marketing materials of specialized products.
- Steps up as the new artist of a product in place of another artist when artwork is needing rescued or corrected for various reasons including and beyond absent artist, missing artist, artist communication break, deadline day quick fixes, etc.
- Verifies marketing materials meet template requirements and client / account specialist instructions / change requests, and finalizes marketing products that adhere to company & client standards, preparing PDFs for production needs, verifying / preparing / packaging artwork correctly once approved.
- Understands attention to detail is crucial while ensuring error-free material with thorough proofreading.
- Prioritizes, accomplishes, and balances workflow in accordance to project importance and deadlines; expectation to manage a workflow spreadsheet that prioritizes duties; expectation to execute and prioritize multiple tasks; expectation to perform in a fast- paced environment that meets daily, weekly, and monthly deadlines.
- Maintains neat, organized file structure on all computers that one comes into contact with, maintaining low storage by archiving and backing up for future reference.
- Effectively communicates with fellow employees or client artists via internet, phone, or face to face when needed.
- Operates in a team environment while independently and collectively working toward similar goals.
- Keeps calm during situations of constructive feedback or when making a mistake; handles all feedback in a professional manner, prioritizing customers who complain.
- Performs other duties as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs Spreadsheet, Some Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat (not required, but a plus), Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Mail Applications.
- Ability to use standard Windows and Mac computers.
- Ability to receive and handle in-depth constructive criticism.
- Organization and time management skills.
- Ability to proofread, including spelling and fine line design symmetry.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Professionalism and diplomacy skills.
- Associate's degree (A. A. / A. S.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school and less than one year related experience or training; or two to four years’ experience without any further education; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hours of Operation – Mail Shark is located on the East Coast, so they follow Eastern Standard Time. Account Specialists are almost always in the office Mondays & Thursdays from 7:30AM to 5:00PM, Tuesdays & Wednesdays from 8:30AM to 5:00PM, and Fridays from 8:30AM to 3:00PM. During these hours, an Account Specialist may reach out to you regarding picking up new work, submitting change requests, or to notify you of approval. Below is a list of turnaround expectations when dealing with specific topics & reasons Account Specialists may reach out to you.
Accepting or Declining Work: A Few Hours – An account specialist has just requested that you be the artist for a product that is ready to be worked on. Within the contents of this same email will be the initial instructions to get started on the piece. We just ask that you respond to this email within a few hours to let the account specialist know whether or not you can work on the product. If you cannot, responding quickly will give the account specialist an opportunity to reassign the artwork. Also if you cannot, and you do not respond quickly, it will reflect poorly on your performance, and may even deter the account specialists from reaching out to you further for new assignments. If you can pickup the artwork, please see next section.
New Build First Proof: 48 Hours – When you are assigned a brand new build, we would like the first proof uploaded within 48 hours.
Change Requests: 24 Hours – All change requests should be uploaded within 24 hours.
Thursday Deadline Day – All change requests made on a deadline day, we would like uploaded within the hour it was requested.
Holiday Weeks – Holidays can affect the working schedule of our office employees as well as production. Because of production fulfillment requirements, the office hours of operation as well as which day becomes the deadline day can change. A holiday in the middle of one week can affect not only that week, but also the week prior and the week after. Your Account Specialists will be sure to keep you posted on any upcoming changes to their schedule or deadline day due to holidays, but just be aware that these changes may occur.
Time Off – Mail Shark honors all requests for time off. We expect that you are keeping an organized tally of all open projects, even open projects that haven’t been worked on in weeks. In the event you plan to take off for any period of time, we just ask that you have packaged all of your native artwork for EVERY open project that you are working on, and upload them to their respective line items. If you are working on a project that does not contain a line item, please be sure to contact your account specialist who will provide you with a way to send us that native artwork.
You will find that we are extremely flexible in working with your availability so long as it meets our availability needs. When you are first starting out with Mail Shark, we usually keep you in a trial period until you have successfully completed 2 client’s piece of artwork with an Account Specialist. After that "trial", the Account Specialist reports your performance to a Senior Account Specialist, and they make the decision from there whether or not to move forward with you as an official freelance artist for Mail Shark. After that trial period, you will slowly gain more and more work. If you feel we are giving you more work than you can handle, please let us know. On the opposite side of the spectrum, if you feel you could use more work, let us know that as well. As long as we mutually agree you can handle the work, and there is work available to be given out, we will utilize you more.
- Artist does not meet turnaround expectations.
- Artist does not follow all requested instructions.
- Artist makes left fielded mistakes that weren’t part of any instructions or write-up materials.
- Artist rushes projects that get uploaded with fine line symmetrical design mistakes.
- Artist fails to mention they are unavailable, fails to upload required native artwork, or goes MIA once or frequently.
- Artist is fully or partially responsible for a mistake that went to print which resulted in a customer complaint and/or reprint.
Account Specialists may feel deterred from using a freelance artist if they run across any of the following issues with them:
About Mail Shark
Mail Shark is a full-service direct mail company that’s been providing design, printing, and mailing services to businesses of all sizes since 2008.
Fill out the form below and submit your resume for consideration. Applicants must also submit samples of at least 3 menu designs and 1 non-food brochure at the time of applying. These samples are simply meant to showcase your design capabilities and do not need to be from real jobs or companies.
Please email your samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.